Obesity and Weight Control Specialist in Cary, NC
At InShape Medical, our team of licensed and experienced weight control specialists would be happy to support you in your weight loss journey. We offer safe, professional, and effective care at every step of the process, ensuring that you have the tools and resources needed to be successful. Contact us today for more information about our weight management services or book online to schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience. We are conveniently located at 107 Edinburgh S. Drive, Suite 215 Cary, NC 27511.
Table of Contents:
Obesity is a complex condition that millions of people across the world struggle with. It is a chronic disease characterized by excessive body fat, which can often lead to other health conditions developing alongside it.
While body fat itself is not a medical disease, too much of it does change the way your body functions over the short and long term. This can lead to adverse health effects over time, the likes of which aren’t always reversible, which is why it’s important to tackle obesity in its early stages.
Weight control, also known as weight management, refers all components that affect your ability to attain and maintain a stable weight over the long term. It includes the behaviors, techniques, lifestyle strategies, and physiological processes that are utilized in these efforts and how well they are employed over the course of one’s life.
Weight management control strategies prioritize helping people to achieve a healthy weight that is maintainable for them over the long term. For those that need to lose weight, these strategies employ safe and realistic approaches that are medically sound and provide consistent, moderate results.
There are many different factors that can contribute to someone becoming obese, though the most common is simply taking in more calories than you’re burning off. While doing this occasionally likely won’t affect your weight very much, consistently overeating can lead to continued weight gain and eventual obesity.
Other factors that play into weight gain and obesity are:
● Behavioral issues.
● Certain diseases and medications.
● Family inheritance and influences.
● Hormonal issues.
● Lack of sleep.
● Poor lifestyle choices.
● The health of your microbiome.
● Psychological conditions.
● Quitting smoking.
● Social and economic issues.
Obesity is a complex issue and it often takes the help of a medical professional to determine what the root cause (or causes) of it are.
While being overweight doesn’t guarantee that you will develop future medical issues, it does put you at an increased risk of developing them. Those with weight issues are more susceptible to:
● Certain cancers. Including uterus, cervical, ovarian, breast, colon, rectum, prostate, esophagus, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, and kidney cancer.
● Digestive problems. Obese people are more likely to develop heartburn, gallbladder disease, and other forms of GI distress.
● Heart disease and strokes. Being overweight can contribute to high blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
● Osteoarthritis. Excess weight increases inflammation and the stress placed on weight-bearing joints, leading to their deterioration.
● Sleep apnea. This is a serious disorder where breathing repeatedly stops and starts during the night. It is more common amongst those that are overweight/obese.
● Type 2 diabetes. Excess weight can make it harder to control blood sugar levels, increasing the risk of developing insulin resistance and diabetes.
Yes, your doctor can absolutely help you lose weight or, at the very least, refer you to another medical professional that can.
Your primary care physician should always be your first point of contact when you’re trying to lose weight. Your doctor can help you identify the root cause of your weight gain if there are any underlying medical issues contributing to it, and how to address these barriers moving forward. Your doctor will set you realistic weight loss goals, recommend suitable lifestyle changes, and provide additional tools and resources as needed to help support your weight loss journey.
At InShape Medical, we offer safe, professional, and effective weight loss strategies to help you achieve your desired goals. If you’d like more information about our services or would like to connect with one of our weight control specialists, contact us today or book online to schedule an appointment. For more information, contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 107 Edinburgh S. Drive, Suite 215 Cary, NC 27511. We serve clients from Cary NC, Raleigh NC, Durham NC, Chapel Hill NC, Apex NC, Pittsboro NC, and Garner NC.